Headline

Featured

Football

Music

Magazine

Home » Football, Headline

Hope remains

Submitted by on March 7, 2011 – 9:25 amNo Comment

Pamela Welsh, one of the few beacons of light in the sea of shit that is the Evening News, has written this piece in today’s edition of the pathetic Oldham-published pamphlet:

Extra time in FC United’s bid to find a new home

FC United are ‘confident’ they can finalise a new location for a stadium ‘within weeks’ – after the plug was pulled on plans for a 5,000-seater ground in Newton Heath.
The original stadium plans were abandoned after Manchester council withdrew £650,000 it had pledged, blaming government funding cuts.

But the club – born out of the anti-Glazer movement at Manchester United five years ago – will work with council bosses to find another location.
They hope to be installed at their new ground for the 2012/2013 season.

Hundreds of fans attended a crunch members’ meeting and have thrown their weight behind the attempts to find a new stadium location.
Andy Walsh, general manager of FC United, said: “Everybody has confidence in the board that we can deliver a new stadium. The members were shocked and there were some who were very upset. But we expect to be able to announce our new plans within four weeks.”

The club – run as a co-operative – had already raised £1.3m in community shares, just short of its £1.5m target.
Members will be able to get their money back or reinvest in the new scheme when it is finalised.

Mr Walsh said: “We’ve got to write to all our shareholders to explain the situation and outline the position.

“They will be able to get their money back, but we will also be giving them a new offer to take forward plans for a new site.”

The Ten Acres Lane site in Newton Heath – where Manchester United was founded in 1878 – would have been particularly significant to the club.

Council bosses granted the club planning permission in November. It would have involved the renovation of the existing sports centre and artificial pitches.

Mr Walsh added: “We extensively consulted our members on the design of the stadium and many of those aspects will be included in any new plans.
“We do think any plans will have the potential to be even better than before.”

The Evening News still have not changed the headline on their original piece that intimated that it was FC ‘pulling the plug’. See article below.

Leave a comment!

You must be logged in to post a comment.